Your Linux Data Center Experts

This morning Asterisk was acting very squirrelly. I think it was mostly the Wildcard TDM400P card that we have had terminating the internal lines. We've found various VoIP solutions that are working better for us than the TDP400P, so we're moving mostly in that direction. The problem report this morning was noise on incoming calls. I tried to do an echo test on one of those lines, but while the line would give me stutter dial-tone and then go solid, it wouldn't recognize any DTMF tones. I rebooted the Asterisk box and it was happy after that, but it had only been up 9 hours at that point because of the nightly reboot I'm already doing. You can often work around problems, but it'll be nice when Asterisk stabilizes enough that you won't have to.

I spent much of the rest of the work-day building a Python program to manage symbolic links when using DRBD. Often, when you bring up DRBD on one system, you want things like /etc/httpd to link into the partition shared among multiple machines. Just setting up a set of symlinks is a problem because if you do an update of many packages you have to remember to put the symlinks back in place. This program, drbdlinks, reads a configuration file and then sets up or reverts symlinks into the shared partition, so you have symlinks only when the shared drive is up and your applications are running.

Didn't get too much done today because Hacking Society kind of cuts the work day short for me. I did manage to get a few more changes made to the journals pages on this web-site done, and added a “summary” page for the various journals. I really like the concise list of entries that I have on my personal site, so now I just need to find out where to link it.

The new site is still doing quite well. We should be releasing is this week. We're using CVS for revision control and (most importantly) collaborative authoring. We use CVS for other documentation tasks internally as well as (obviously) code. So having the web site in CVS also makes a ton of sense for us. It works way better than any “through the web” editing systems. We have test copies set up on our laptops, and then when we're happy with the local copy we do a commit and then do “cvs update -Ad” on the server to get the latest pages.

Journals are a bit different. That information is all stored in a database, and the RSS and pages are generated dynamically from the database. I have built a through-the-web editing system that's pretty simple, but have also built a client/server program that we can use to edit entries using an editor on our local boxes and then publish to the database via ssh. A local editor is much handier than almost all web browsers for editing text.

For our needs, this system is pretty well ideal.

comments powered by Disqus

Join our other satisfied clients. Contact us today.